Welcome to the third (almost annual) fall writing contest! (I say almost annual because we've done it nearly every year, except for one.) Since the October and November writing schedules have been cancelled, I decided that a contest would be more fun!
When: October 15th - December 1st (that is a total of 47 days!)
Theme: On the Farm or Ranch
Description: Let's go milk the cows on Grandpa's dairy farm. Or maybe we should go sing songs with the cowboys out on the range! Your story setting must either be on a farm or a ranch. (There is a slight difference between the two, in case you were wondering. A ranch is an area of landscape, including various structures, given primarily to the practice of ranching, the practice of raising grazing livestock such as cattle or sheep for meat or wool. [There are also horse ranches dedicated to raising horses for breeding, riding, selling etc.] A farm is an area of land and its buildings used for growing crops and rearing animals, typically under the control of one owner or manager. Hope that helps!) I'm also going to add a slight fun twist to this (at the suggestion of my brothers! ;) ) Your story must have a tractor of some kind in it! What's a farm or a ranch without a tractor?! See the Noble Novels Pinterest page and look for the new board "Tractors" for ideas! Brand names should be easy to locate, if you need to mention the brand name! There are many ways to be creative with this theme, so enjoy!
Requirements for those ages 14 and older:
- Fully edited story (grammar, spelling, etc.)
- Do your best to use "movie" sentences. In other words, show and not tell.
- Good character development
- Nice plot
- Story setting is on a farm or ranch
- Story has a tractor
Requirements for those 13 and younger:
- Fully edited story (please ask someone to edit your story if you can't)
- Good storyline
-Story setting is on a farm or ranch
-Story has a tractor
Other details (for all ages):
- You can only submit ONE story
- Please submit your age with your story (this is important!)
Judging information (for all ages)
Your stories will be judged by the following:
- Tardiness on submitting the story (e.g. sending in your story the day of the deadline) will be taken into consideration when judging. The reason for this is that professional authors have deadlines that they have to make and this is a good way to practice working with deadlines! :)
- The judges will be looking for all the requirements to be met in each story, according to the appropriate ages.
- Any story submitted after the deadline will not qualify for the contest. The story will be posted on the appropriate page however.
This contest we will be having published author, C.R. Hedgecock, as a judge! I am very grateful that C.R. Hedgecock is willing to judge for us!
Prize: TBD (It will be good, I promise! I'm thinking something along the lines of book(s) specifically. ;) It's just a matter of what book(s)! )
Winners will be announced December 10th!
Have fun y'all! Can't wait to see what y'all come up with!